The Republic of Malta is an EU member country located in the center of the Mediterranean.
Since 2004, Malta is a member of the European Union and since 2007 is part of the Schengen area, in addition to this it is a part of the British Commonwealth.
The perfect combination of political and economic stability puts Malta on a par with major European countries. Economic growth was 5% in 2019; the country’s credit rating is A with a positive outlook. The base currency is the Euro.
A warm Mediterranean climate, clean environment, a high level of safety and excellent infrastructure make Malta a great place to relax and live. And tax relief for residents give a significant advantage to business operations and capital allocation.
The Malta Permanent Residence Programme requires an Applicant to make a significant economic commitment to Malta. In exchange and subject to stringent vetting and due diligence procedures, including thorough background checks, the applicants and their family are granted permanent residency in Malta according to the Maltese Immigration Act (Cap. 217 of the Laws of Malta).
Under Licence AKM-DALL-21
What does the status of an indefinite resident of Malta offer?
Freedom of movement in the Schengen countries
With the Indefinite residence of Malta you will be able to travel around the Schengen area visa-free.
Safe place to live for you and your loved ones
You and your family may permanently reside in Malta and have the opportunity at any time to travel throughout the EU without visas and permits.
The lack of taxation on private income derived outside Malta
Only after being tax resident you have to pay tax in Malta however capital gain tax arising outside Malta will remain non-taxable even if received in Malta.
Tranquility and confidence in the future
As a permanent resident, you are not required to live continuously in Malta, you may travel as you like, without any physical stay requirements or confusing residency renewal procedures.
Advantages of the Indefinite residence program in Malta
accelerated process of obtaining permanent residency
obtaining of the resident status by all family members at once, including parents and grandparents for a lifetime
minimum number of days to be spent in Malta is not specified
low cost of processing
government bond investment not required anymore
ability to travel in the Schengen-zone visa-free
application with a civil partner is also acceptable in Malta
Conditions of participation in the Malta Permanent Residence Programme
Conditions of participation in the Malta Permanent Residence Programme are regulated by Legal Notice 121 of 2021
1 – Full contribution option
- Contribution €98,000
- Dontation to NGO €2,000
- Property rental per year
in South Malta or Gozo: €10,000
- Property rental per year in Malta: €12,000
2 – Reduced contribution option
- Contribution €68,000
- Dontation to NGO €2,000
- Buying a property
in South Malta or Gozo: €300,000
- Buying a property in Malta: €350,000
Additional government contributions
- €7,500 for the spouse and each
dependent parent or grandparent
- €5,000 for each dependent adult child
Necessary documents for participation in the Malta Permanent Residence Programme
- valid foreign passport;
- birth certificate;
- marriage certificate (if applicable);
- existing resident cards or identity cards issued by third countries;
- an obligation that other qualifying requirements will be completed;
- health certificate;
- a certificate from the Maltese police, as well as a certificate from the police, issued by the competent authorities of the country of origin as well as the country or countries of residence where the Applicant has resided for more than six months during the last ten years;
- affidavit of support for each dependent over the age of eighteen;
- confirmation of availability of funds (bank statements, proof of income, investments, etc.);
- officially certified translations of any documents that have been issued not in English.